Last Sunday I mentioned that Martin Luther suggests that the church can be
found by 7 marks. By these 7 marks a “poor, erring man” can publicly see
the Church and know where the Church is true to the Word. These are
quotes from his treatise:
1. First , This Christian, holy people (Church) have GOD’S HOLY
2. Second. God’s people are known by the HOLY SACRAMENT OF
BAPTISM when it is rightly taught and believed and used according
to Christ’s decree.
3. Third. God’s people, or Holy Church is known by the Holy
SACRAMENT OF THE ALTAR, when it is rightly administered
according to Christ’s institution and is believed and received.
4. Fourth . The people of God, or Holy Church, are known by the
KEYS, which they publicly use. ( MATTHEW 18:15)
5. Fifth . The Holy, Christian people are known by PRAYER AND
PUBLIC THANKSGIVING AND PRAISE TO GOD.
6. Sixth. The holy, Christian Church is outwardly known by the
POSSESSION OF THE HOLY CROSS.
7. Seventh The Church is known outwardly by the fact that it
CONSECRATES OR CALLS MINISTERS OR HAS OFFICES WHICH THEY
These are what make a Holy Christian Church… Are we here at Emmanuel a
church? YES! A vacant church? No. You are a whole church served by